Monday, August 13, 2012

Scoutmaster Attacked; Scouts Kill Rabid Beaver

A rabid beaver attacked a scoutmaster in Eastern Pennsylvania as he was swimming with a group of teenage scouts.

According to a story in the Poughkeepsie Journal, the scoutmaster saw a dark shape that loomed up from the water and bit him on the chest.

Once he was bitten, he grabbed the animal and threw it away from his body. “Then it came at me again,” he said.
The beaver bit him in the leg and then again in his buttocks, arm, hand and waist. At that point, Brousseau said, “the adrenaline kicked in.”
“I grabbed it in its mouth,” he said. “I had it around its bottom jaw as tightly as I could because I knew it was going to either bite me or bite the boys. I called the Scouts to come give me a hand.”

The boys pulled their scoutmaster to shore; the beaver was thrown to the ground, stunned, and the boys stoned it to death.   Duchess County officials confirmed the next day that the beaver was rabid.  The scoutmaster has received a regimen of rabies shots -- 20 so far.

While beaver attacks are rare, see below for the story of an attack last summer, and there are reports that the beaver who bit two girls in North Caroline last month was rabid.  The girls are also getting shots.

No comments: